Thursday, March 19, 2009

Chemical Inspiration




I am continually amazed at the unusual places I can get inspiration for quilting if I keep my eyes and mind open to them. Who would ever think you could find it in Chemistry class in crystalized cocktails!


This is Dave Foster. I was the In-class Support teacher with him in Chemistry last year. He is a brialliant, hysterically funny man who makes Chemistry fascinating and fun. One day the pattern on his tie seen in the picture attracted my attention. He told me it was a crystallized representation of scotch and water.





Later that day I found the website for the company that made the tie and I was amazed at all the beautiful images. Here is a sampling of the ones that visually appealed to me and that I thought I could interpret in fabric. Even though some of the compounds have negative connotations to me, I still liked the images. Check out the website and see which drink, drug (legal or illegal) or chemical inspires you.

http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/galleria/index.html





wine






novacaine




caffeine





lasix -we used to give this to our race horses to make them run faster



vodka and tonic







Interferon

There are many, many more on the website. I guarantee you will be amazed and enthralled!



No comments:

Post a Comment