Monday, March 16, 2009

Irish Village Project

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Even though I'm only 1/4 Irish, St. Patrick's Day is always special to me. I grew up with my 100% Irish Grandma living in our house, my husband is 1/2 Irish and his nickname is Red and most of all, I named my strawberry blonde twin girls Kelly and Colleen.

Last Spring I visited a new quilt shop in Howell N.J. named Mouse Creek Quilts. I signed up for a block of the month called Irish Village. I got a few of the blocks in the mail last Fall but put them away and forgot about them. Last week there was a package on my kitchen table when I got home and it was the kits for the remaining blocks to complete the quilt. Since St. Patrick's Day was this coming week, I decided to start the first block and make a block or two throughout the coming year and finish the quilt for St. Patrick's Day 2010.

This is the first block of the quilt. It's a river going under a stone bridge. I do raw edge machine applique with double fusible web. I haven't got the patience for needle turned applique.



This is a picture of how the finished quilt will look. I especially like the wishing well and the church block. I'm hoping the goal of next St. Patrick's Day will prevent this from becoming a UFO.




If you're ever in the Howell neighborhood on Route 9 in N.J., check out the store. The people are super nice and they have a nice mixture of traditional and contemporary fabrics. Their website is http://www.mousecreekquilts.com/. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment