Monday, January 10, 2011

More New Knitting Skills



After making several pairs of mittens for Christmas gifts I decided it was time to tackle socks. The biggest challenge is the so called "turning the heel." The only book I could find that made sense to me was by Ann Budd. Being stuck in the house for the New Jersey after Christmas blizzard seemed like a great time to start. Here is the finished product. The only problem is, I thought I could get a pair out of 1 skein of yarn. How much could a pair of socks use anyway? I used up the whole skein for the first sock and I have no idea where I bought the yarn originally. Anyway, I'm pretty proud of myself for not giving up. The pictures in the book are extremely helpful, I guess I'm more of a visual learner. After finishing the heel gussets and toe decreases, the construction method makes perfect sense to me. My next challenge is to try to make a pair of ladies socks with a lacy pattern on the leg and instep.

No comments:

Post a Comment