Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Rosie Runs for the Roses


Ever since my husband became a thoroughbred trainer in 1976, Derby Day has been an exciting day for me. This year will be particularly exciting though because Rosie Napravnik will be riding a horse named Pants on Fire. I have known Rosie's family for many years, her Mom Cindy is a friend of mine and her Dad Charles shoed my husband's race horses and my daughter's show ponies. I even made a set of silks for her older sister Jasmine when she ran in her first pony race at the Far Hills races. I remember a day years ago when Rosie began riding ponies in the Far Hills races. Cindy brought the pony club kids to our farm to let them practice riding around our training track. Rosie had her stirrups jacked up high and was crouching down like a professional jockey even then. I remember thinking she's going to be like Julie Krone someday and now that someday is almost here. I'll be rooting for her to make history on Saturday. No female jockey has ever finished in the money in a Derby, so even a 2nd or 3rd place finish will be exciting. I'll be able to say I knew her when! Have a safe trip Rosie, hope to see you in the Winner's Circle!

Rosie winning the $1,000,000 Louisiana Derby a few weeks ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment