Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Ruth McDowell Iris blocks rediscovered

As I was searching for something else in one of my plastic bins, I came across these iris blocks that I made a few years ago. I couldn't decide what to do with them at the time so I forgot about them as other projects crowded them out. They were my first attempt at paper piecing from a workshop I took at Budding Star Quilts in Lebanon on Ruth McDowell's pieced flowers. I think now I might make them into a long rectangular wall hanging to hang on a narrow wall in the shore house. I also thought of putting them in an irregular setting in a square quilt. I would love suggestions or other ideas from anyone that has one.

Here's the One Block Wonder with the borders. I was going to applique the flowers from the fabric but I decided the center of the quilt was busy enough and I liked the idea of fussy cutting the purple flowers for the corner blocks. I think it ties in the purple color with the border even though there isn't purple all over the center of the quilt. I really like this quilt now with the border on it. Before I put it on, I thought it was just OK and I liked many other One Block Wonders better. I have a new free motion pattern I'm practicing for the border. I really like stippling but I'm getting tired of putting it on almost every quilt. The new pattern is a perpendicular zig zag in a nine patch layout. I like the way it looks on my sample scrap. Now I just have to practice so I can do it evenly.


2 comments:

  1. I like the idea of a long narrow quilt with the irises.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janet! Those irises are lovely! Thanks for checking out my blog. I'm glad you like the bookcase quilt. The librarian friend who received it loved it and I'm sure yours will too. It's really easy to make, but if you need directions or tips, I got the pattern from the Modern Quilt Workshop by Weeks Ringle and Bill Kerr. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete