Thursday, March 3, 2011

Chuppah Commission


I'm really excited about my next sewing project. A colleague of mine at school has comissioned me to make a chuppah for her niece's upcoming wedding next summer. For those of you who don't know what a chuppah is, it's a canopy held over the bride and groom at a Jewish wedding. It symbolizes the new home that the couple will build together. Chuppahs can range from a simple piece of fabric to a very elaborate, decorative canopy. The picture above is what we are using for our inspiration. Ours will not be quite this elaborate but we are using elements from it. We had a fun day in the garment district in New York City shopping for the materials and embellishments. Maybe I can turn this into a business for after I retire from teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment